Friday, June 17, 2011

MAKING HAND POLLINATOR

 Hi my name is Marissa.I am writing about making hand pollinators. It was fun. I want to do it again. It    was hard to figure out what would work the best. We used a pompom, a pipe cleaner, baking soda, eraser, marble, string, stick and a wire for our materials.  We then designed 2 different pollinators to create and test out.  We had model flowers of a Poppy, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Dutchman's Pipe, and a Bucket Orchid.  I tested out the Dutchman's Pipe.  At first my design did not work so I worked to improve my model.  My hand pollinator that worked the best used wire, pom pom, and a stick.   
 Here we are in the design and plan process of the engineering process.  We are planning which design we think will work the best with which materials.  The flower this group is working with is the Jack-in-the-Pulpit.   
  Here we are in the create process.  We are creating our designs to test if they work well.  Most of us had to improve our designs.  



 This is a group working with the Bucket Orchid flower.  The pipes acted like the flower and the pollen was put at the bottom of the pipe.  They had to design a hand pollinator that would work well for this flower.  What insect do you think likes to eat the nectar from this flower?  
 Here is one hand pollinator design.
This is the Dutchman's Pipe flower.  We used a test tube filled with baking soda to represent the flower and pollen.  We had to make sure and design a hand pollinator that would reach all the way down to the pollen.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Natalie I had fun that day.When we made our hand pollinators.I kind of got frustrated because none of my designs worked.One thing I did learn that is engineers make things like those so they learn that mistakes are a part of the engineering process.I had lots of FUN!FUN!FUN!FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the learning that is happening! All the success you guys are experiencing makes me so excited about how you are preparing to be top scientists of our future. Keep up the fun work and keep science alive by asking questions! :) ~Mrs. Phillips Allan Elementary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Visiting!!

Thanks for Visiting!!