Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Testing Materials for Hand Pollinators

Hi my name Is Krystal. We are going to make hand pollinators.  Today we drew flowers and used a 3 tap method to test what the best material is to transfer pollen.  I used a pompom, pipe cleaner, eraser, marble, tape, and foil to test which one picked up and dropped off the most pollen. 
We got a cup with a hole in the bottom and a cup with no hole, and my teacher flipped the cup with no hole and poured a little bit of baking soda on it.  This was like the pollen.  We tested out which material picked up the most pollen.  We then dropped off the pollen onto other flowers to see what made the most pollen.  I saw that the pompom got the most baking soda to give to the other flowers.  The pipe cleaner got some of it, so I am going to use the pompom to make my hand pollinator.  I will not use the foil because it hardly got any pollen.  It was fun and I am ready to make my hand pollinator!   

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! It's very informative and the pictures are great. Keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very fun blog with lots of great information that I didnt know! Now I want my own hand pollinator- even though the hummingbirds are pretty good at it too:) High-five to all of you and keep up the good work and the awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it is Jazlyn. I learned that a marble does not drop enough of baking soda because of the smooth surface.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Visiting!!

Thanks for Visiting!!